For the love of all things vintage, clever, designed, and/or delicious, we celebrate objects and rituals in all their glory!

1.21.2009

Dylan's Blast From The Past Birthday Cake

For Dylan's birthday, I put together this strawberry birthday cake....
I said put together, because I didn't actually bake the cake. I was lazy....but still wanted to make it seem like a "special" birthday cake.
So I went to the store and got a chocolate angel food cake, some fresh strawberries, and heavy whipping cream. (told you I was lazy.)

My vision: Make a light tasting cake that mimics Asian cakes.

My plan: Slice the cake into three layers, put some whipping cream and sliced strawberries in the middle. Put icing around it and some decorate with strawberries.

My outcome: An unintentional Betty Crocker style cake from the 50's....I didn't realize it till I saw the photosl!! I had it in my head that this is simple! (simple to do..making it pretty, was a different story) I worked on it, the cake got more out of control. (out of MY control that is...) The cake was too fragile and crumbly, and the whipping cream didn't have enough structure either to ice around, so I had to improvise and dabbed the slightly liquidy whipping cream on top...and made some intentional-looking drips...Then in the attempt to try to hide the ugliness of the icing, i decided to put some whole strawberries on top....and voila! A "special" ugly-looking cake for my special man!

So, now you know the secret of making an ugly & unappetizing cake that looks like it traveled from the 50's, what are you waiting for?! Go make an uglier one so I'll feel better about mine!

*The bright yellow counter is our new kitchen project (will blog later)...the yellow definitely amplified the whole 50's look....heh.

5 comments:

Dylan said...

Let me just say that the taste was not ugly at all.

You forgot to mention the sweet balsamic reduction...which was really good and pulls you up out of the laziness pit just a bit...give yourself some credit.

I was a happy birthday boy. Thank you!

jamie said...

yuuuummm balsamic reduction and strawberries is one of my favs. nice work jean! and happy birthday dylan!

AMM blog said...

Oh wow, it looks great!

Jean said...

yay! and thanks everyone!

me melodia said...

I love it.
It looks super-special-made-with love-and-creative-enegergies.